Kebbi State Deputy Governor, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, has spoken publicly about his removal from the position of Governor Nasir Idris’ proposed running mate for the 2027 governorship election, rejecting claims that the development was caused by a Supreme Court ruling concerning the 2023 election.
Abubakar-Tafida described the explanation being circulated as misleading, insisting that attempts to associate his replacement with the apex court’s decision were calculated to undermine his reputation and weaken his political influence.
The deputy governor spoke on Wednesday in Argungu while receiving a large number of supporters, associates and well-wishers who visited his residence to express solidarity with him following the decision of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to replace him.
He said he had accepted the development peacefully, stressing that he would not challenge a decision that had already been taken. According to him, everything that happens in life occurs with the permission of Allah.
Abubakar-Tafida, however, took exception to claims suggesting that the Supreme Court judgment was responsible for his replacement. He described such claims as false and inappropriate, arguing that the opposition’s legal challenge and the subsequent court proceedings should not be used as an excuse to create a damaging narrative about him.
He maintained that those spreading the account were deliberately attempting to leave a negative impression of him in the minds of the public.
The deputy governor said he would not allow such efforts to succeed, promising to continue explaining what actually transpired.
He stated that anyone attempting to destroy his political reputation had been left to God to judge their intentions and actions.
Despite his removal as the governor’s running mate, Abubakar-Tafida said his relationship with Governor Idris remained cordial. He explained that both men had collaborated on several initiatives aimed at improving the welfare and development of Kebbi State.
He noted that political arrangements could change at any time, particularly when parties are making strategic decisions ahead of elections. He therefore said he had no problem with the change if it was intended to strengthen the APC’s chances of retaining power.
The deputy governor further emphasised that political authority was temporary and ultimately determined by God.
He said no individual could prevent another person from attaining a position that Allah had destined for them.
Abubakar-Tafida also used the occasion to reaffirm his allegiance to the APC, making it clear that his removal would not lead him to abandon the party.
He pledged to remain committed to the party and support its candidates during the 2027 elections.
He specifically expressed continued backing for President Bola Tinubu and Governor Nasir Idris, urging party members and his supporters to unite behind them.
The deputy governor assured his supporters that despite the recent political development, he remained committed to public service and would continue working for the interests of the people.
He appealed for calm among his followers, stressing that political setbacks should not create divisions within the party or among supporters.
Abubakar-Tafida’s comments are expected to put to rest some of the speculation surrounding his replacement as the governor’s running mate, while reaffirming his continued loyalty to both Governor Idris and the APC ahead of the 2027 polls.

















