Former British sprinter and 2010 Commonwealth Games 200m champion Leon Baptiste has been sentenced to 10 months in prison in Morocco following his conviction in a case involving the sexual assault of a minor.
The development has clarified the circumstances surrounding the 41-year-old’s disappearance from public view after he travelled to Morocco for work.
Baptiste had been engaged by UK Athletics as a consultant sprint coach, working with elite British athletes before communication with him stopped.
A source within Morocco’s Ministry of Justice told the BBC on Wednesday that Baptiste was arrested in Marrakech in May. He was subsequently convicted and is currently serving his sentence at Al-Oudaya prison.
The Moroccan official disputed earlier descriptions of Baptiste as missing, saying, “The foreign national concerned had not lost contact with his surroundings and was not subject to any disappearance or unexplained absence.”
The source further stated that the former athlete remained “in good health.”
Morocco’s Public Prosecution Office also acknowledged that Baptiste was in custody.
“The British national is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following a court judgment against him in connection with his involvement in a criminal case,” the office said.
Officials explained that Moroccan authorities do not always make extensive details of criminal cases public, particularly while judicial matters are being handled.
Athletes left without their coach
Concern over Baptiste grew after the athletes he was training were unable to reach him for several months.
In May, he sent the group a short message informing them that he would not be attending training for some time. He did not disclose the reason for his absence.
His disappearance came during an important period for the athletes, who were preparing for major international competitions without the coach who had been guiding them.
Baptiste had been working with UK Athletics as a consultant sprint coach and was involved in preparing British track athletes for the Commonwealth Games and European Championships.
His contribution to athletics had also earned him recognition outside his competitive career, with Baptiste receiving the England Athletics Coach of the Year award at the 2023 Sporting Equals Awards.
Earlier reports had suggested that Baptiste had gone missing while in Morocco. However, information that has since emerged indicates that he travelled to Marrakech with three other former British athletes. Those three individuals later returned to Britain.
UK provides consular assistance
The British government has confirmed that it is supporting Baptiste during his detention.
A spokesperson for the UK Foreign Office said, “We are supporting a British national who is detained in Morocco and are in contact with the authorities.”
Baptiste’s family are reportedly aware of his situation.
Meanwhile, the athletes he had been coaching were informed on Tuesday that he had stepped down from his position. An email sent to them reportedly attributed his resignation to health-related issues but did not disclose his conviction or time in prison.
Baptiste made his mark as an athlete by claiming England’s 200m title at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. During his competitive career, he primarily focused on the 100m and 200m events.
Following his retirement from competition, he moved into coaching and continued working within British athletics, eventually taking on a consultancy role with UK Athletics.

















